Saturday, September 12, 2015

Panda


There were two people sitting behind the standard height counter, and they remained sitting while they helped customers (do they stand in the US?... I think so, but I'm not sure). I handed over my Passport, my Intl Drivers Permit and my credit card. I handwrote my email address on a little slip of paper.

Before the woman got started, I explained that I fear I'd reserved a car which is too large for me... I'd like to downsize. I said I drive a Smart in the US, are there any Smarts available? She said no Smarts, but perhaps I would like a Fiat 500 -- I'm sure she said  "cinquecento" -- and like a doof I said, oh isn't that double the price? And she said 'no, it's the same'..... And then the guy sitting next to her said something very quietly, and she nodded and continued typing.

In my research I had actually found that the 500 was double the price of 4-door models. Perhaps it is just because they are all the rage in the US and the first law of economics is supply and demand. Could it be that the URL of the renter (indicating country of origin) drives the price? Hmmmmmmmm.  (Note to self -- in the future have friends in-country reserve the cars....)

She asked if I would like an Automatic. I was amazed, I thought all Euro cars were stick, and I said Si si si, I'd love an automatic. I asked is there GPS, she said no, do you want GPS... I said -- no I have a map -- I'm old school like that.

At any rate, when she brought the car around it was not the cinquecento, but instead the Panda... Still 4 doors, but much smaller than my Full Stop for the Ages. I've translated Panda from inglese to italiano, and it still says Panda.... So I guess I'm driving a cute slow Chinese bear with a voracious appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment