Sunday, September 13, 2015

Two RV's go to Bussana Vecchia


I came back down the mountain, turned left at the water, and kept my eyes open for the signs to Bussana Vecchia -- which was no small feat. I followed a sign which led me around and through, but then I found myself back at the beach... So I made a U-eee and pulled up into a giant grocery parking lot. I was able to flag down a Swiss guy with a dog,  who walked me over to the fence and pointed out how I would get to the new town of Bussana, and then on to Bussana Vecchia.

The road up the mountain was very like the road between Apricale and Perinaldo. Narrow, not so well maintained. There were no guard rails to speak of. I was in my best Old Lady mode when I came up behind two (count 'em, two!) behemoth RV's. Don't get me wrong -- these were nowheres on the behemoth scale of a giant American RV with king size bed and king size TV, but they were behemoth by Euro standard. And they were GARGANTUAN by the road-to-Bussana-Vecchia standards. And why they were traveling up that road in a pack, is beyond my comprehension. Allora.

We reached a very tight switchback on the approach to Bussan Vecchia where the second one of the RV's decided he couldn't make it. Not sure if fear got to him or what, but he just stopped on the switchback after the actual turn. There was a car coming towards him trying to get down who was trapped, and cars stacking up behind me.

One of the cars behind me didn't see the car coming down, and he made move to go around me on the curve. Jerk. He spotted the  trapped car before he made a rincoglionita move and jammed the entire highway up.

It just so happened that at the outer curve of the switchback was a driveway leading down with a gate over it. so I moved the Panda toward the outer curve for visibility, and started giving hand signals to the driver who was backing. I backed him within two feet of that gate, and then the Panda self-powered and I blew past them like I owned the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment