Saturday, September 12, 2015

Over the Edge


I'd gotten an email from my hostesses (Julia and Milena) to say that I should not follow the GPS instructions but should use the driving instructions from the website. Try as I would, I couldn't find any driving instructions on the website. However, I had printed Google maps at several different scales, so I knew I was heading in the right direction, and I knew I was close.

I pulled over into a shoulder pullout and consulted my reservation for the actual name of the B&B -- and prayed for a sign to be found on the road. (Figuratively speaking.)

Et voila! a small blue and white sign under an olive tree came into view. I turned into the paved driveway and stopped. Certainly this can't be the place -- this little road leads straight off the side of the mountain.

I backed up and looked at the sign. The phone number was listed on the little sign, and there was no telltale arrow. Perhaps this was just an advertisement. So I pulled out my handy Italian phone and called.

"Hello Milena?"

"Is this Ms Boyd?"

"I'm on SP 59, sitting next to a little sign."

"Follow the little road down."

OMG, was I afraid. I started my Little Panda and riding the brake the entire way I crept over the apogee, made a near 90 degree turn to the right, and followed the tiny tiny road to the house, where Milena was waiting for me on the driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment