Monday, September 14, 2015

Sinner and Cornetto



It was still grey and overcast when I left, and I could tell the violence of the rain by the mud, gravel, larger stones, and plant matter strewn down the roads in streams. Milena's narrow driveway had experienced a washout under some concrete and I thought of Pino and the expense of maintenance. As I headed to the coast the sky became lighter and lighter. I found myself heading back to Ventimiglia, wanting to see the little town on a normal day -- albeit Sunday.

I took the main coast road, passing restaurants and shops, all closed on Sunday morning -- and (Jesus, Mary and Joseph!) I passed a hip clothing store called Sinner -- oddly enough also closed on Sunday (I would think being open on Sunday morning would be policy for a store called Sinner).

I made a left parallel park, got out and walked until I found a cafe that had working wifi, where I enjoyed the sun while have a cornetto e the I originally ordered as cornetto, but had to repeat the word as "croissant" to be understood. Perhaps because we were so close to Nice.

I was there a couple of hours, still saving my gelato calories for Florence and when I became the only person in the cafe I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment