Friday, September 18, 2015

Dinner with Andrea and Romolo


That evening I walked back to the piazza with the carosel, because I wanted to buy a water color painting from an artist there. He has a brother who lives in NJ and works at a large US bank. Hmmmmmmmm...

I asked which of the six-ish restaurants in the piazza I should eat and he sent me to the one all the artists go to. I walked over, got a table outside in the tent / loggia and started looking at the menu. I didn't want a lot, because I'd had so much at lunch with my class, so I took some time looking through the menu.

Shortly, they seated another single female directly next to me. We were reading our menus and drinking water when they seated another single female next to her! We all laughed and I started a conversation with the lady next to me.

Andrea is from Essex in England, but she doesn't know any of those 'Snookie-types' from the TV show. We had a great night talking. We covered British TV, American TV, Star Trek, William Shatner, Benedict Cumberbatch, world politics, human nature, Florence, Italy in general... we talked for hours.

At about hour three I asked the waiter -- and old guy in a red vest -- for the check, using the universal check sign. He said, 'why you leave?' ... at which point he suggested that I take another glass of wine For FREE. I said to myself and to Andrea, 'well, hell, if it's free'.

So Romolo -- that's his name -- brought over a free glass for each of us. After another hour we both insisted he bring the checks and we paid as quickly as we could... since it was 11 by this time and we were the only people left in the restaurant.

Altogether I had four glasses of very nice table wine.

We strolled off together. Andrea, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

1 comment: