Saturday, September 12, 2015

Hertz


Pino carried my bag down the 100 black stone steps and rolled me into the street. He gave me the directions to the Metro, I nodded and smiled, and when he closed the big green door I headed in the direction of the taxis.

When I showed the guy the address he said "to rent a car?" and I said "si". Pretty popular destination. It was a quick ride in his Toyota Auris (we call it Prius), through a tunnel demarking the border between UNESCO history and simply historic. We entered the neighborhoods where the 'real people' of Genoa live, few to no tourista in evidence. He dropped me at the door to Hertz and silently slid away.

I had a real 'Stupid American' moment at the door to Hertz. The office had floor to ceiling windows and a full glass door. The door was not inline with the windows, but was parallel and slightly behind. Also, there was no "Push" sign (ubiquitous and unnoticed in US, but still we know subconsciously when it's not there -- I think the standard sign is blue, but I can't be sure), no metal push-plate, no handle. Therefore, my brain told me the door would automatically slide to the side.

It did not.

I stood there stupidly. I waved my hand for the sensor I knew should be there. Nothing happened. A passerby said 'Push' -- actually he said 'poosh', and I looked at him with vacant eyes I'm sure. He pushed the door, and I was into the promised land of Hertz.

No comments:

Post a Comment