Sunday, September 13, 2015

Seborga



Seborga is an historic town at the top of a mountain and the end of a road, still with a view of the sea.

Originally formed in 1079, in the 1960's Girogio Carbone started a campaign for Serborga to secede from Italy proper. He sited legal documentation showing that  Seborga was not called out specifically in the Italy Acts of Unification in 1861, and therefore was not officially a part of that country. He convinced enough residents of Seborga that in 1963 the populace voted their agreement, and chose Giorgio as their Prince Monarch. He kept this title until his death in 2009.

Seborga has a seal of arms, currency, and a government to help rule the principality. They have a 'border crossing' of sorts, however the guard must not work in the off season.

It was bright, yet cool and windy when I arrived. I stepped up into the city park to take in the view for a moment before walking into the old village. I popped into a little gift shop, which was apparently the official gift shop, and got myself a Visa while there.

I strolled through the wonderfully kempt streets and alleys, past fountains, and noticed that fully a third of the homes were B&Bs or vacation rental spots. I checked out the menus but nothing called to me.

After a leisurely stroll throughout the kingdom, I got into my car and ate an apple and chocolate pastry that Milena made, and headed on.

No comments:

Post a Comment