Saturday, September 12, 2015

Learning the Way of the Autostrade


On thing that took a while to compute in my brain, is how quickly the kilometers pass.

From an American perspective -- stop, right now, go out to your car and look at the speedometer (unless you have some fancy schmancy digital thingy) -- 55 MPH is approx 90 KPH. So, if the sign says X village is 90 km from here, you can consider this 55 miles. Allora, the towns were flying by.

Another slow computation was the relative speed... Most of the straightaways on the Autostrade were marked as 110 (it's a number inside a circle -- don't ask me the colors, I cannot remember -- I only know that I know what it is... don't ask me how) which is roughly 68 miles per hour.

As a person who hardly drives beyond a four square mile segment of Charlotte, even 55 is a stretch for me -- especially in an unfamiliar car. So I kept to the right / slow lane and maintained a consistent 90 kph.

I really love that the exits are marked way in advance, and even more that the name of the town is written on the road, on the pavement, in the lane you should be in to make the exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment