Thursday, September 10, 2015

#17


A much larger stazione than Pisa, by this time it was 10:45pm and any businesses there were closed already. I found my way to the uscita / exit, and found wonderful beautiful taxis waiting for me just outside the door.  

I had my Google map printed of my address (geeks and anals everywhere rejoice) and while my driver spoke almost no English we were able to communicate via a map. He got me as close as possible to my destination -- limited only by the width (or not) of the street (alley?) I needed. He let me out and was amazed at receiving a tip for help.

I was looking for #17. I walked up and down this Via looking up high at the numbers on the buildings, looking for #17. I asked a group of drunken students. They pointed me in one direction, based on the numbers high on buildings (I'm validated -- I was mounting the search correctly!) .... I found a #17 which had no stack of doorbells, and when I turned on the light it was a bay filled with garbage cans.... I went up the little via next to this garbage bay, found a door with a little stack of doorbells... but all the names were illegible (to my really tired, almost-midnight, travelling-25-hours eyes).... I hit one twice with no success.

I pulled out my big travel book leaned against a wall, and searched methodically through my pristine documentation. I found Riccardo's last name, and the number of the apartment. So I strolled up and down the via again, only finding the garbage bay #17.

I could have texted or called... except my local phone with a SIM and working minutes is one attempt away from being locked, and there is no wifi for my WhatsApp or checking my email via iphone.

I stopped a single guy to ask, and he went through the same machinations as everyone before, pointed in a direction and hurried on his way. It was 11:30ish.

I took a deep breath and decided to walk back toward the piazza where the cab dropped me... hoping to find some civilization. I kept looking at the numbers high on the building, but none were #17. However, I decided to scan the doorbell names on each of the buildings for Riccardo. Almost immediate I found a Riccardo G... I grabbed my book again to compare the last name... It was correct... Last name Galadini, unit #6. This had to be it!  I looked up... #11.    ?????????????

I rang the bell and was buzzed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment