Thursday, September 8, 2016

On The Beach

The beach is like a beach anywhere... sorta... 

The lifeguard has an impossibly rich tan -- how does skin do that? There are kayaks and other water toys to rent (but nothing motorized -- no jet skiis).. and oddly no ginormous water tricycles.

The water laps quietly at the gravel-ish beach -- I was expecting waves in a body as big as the Med, but no cigar. I walk out to test the water (after asking an impossibly stoic German woman to keep an eye on my bag for 2 minutes, just 2 minutes, per favore) and I found it really cold... I'm used to the bathtub temps of South Carolina and Georgia beaches, warmed from the Gulf Stream that flows from the Gulf of Mexico... I had assumed the Med would be similar. Nope.

There are differences from American beaches.... To begin with, everyone is so quiet, even little kids. They speak in soft tones and laugh quietly together. Also, even when the kids are active, they're not WFO like American kids would be. Really nice environment, actually.

Then, everyone is so thin.... well, maybe not "thin" per se, but "fit".... I look around at folks and invariably the ones who don't appear fit and trim are speaking some accent of English. Weird.

And there are lots of Speedos and "loose" Speedo types (which are actually even creepier than a speedo). Speedos topped by Tees saying "Alaska" or "Key West" or "Brooklyn".

And finally... I am invisible. Not sure if it is the single-female-alone thing.... Or the obviously-American thing.... but the only people who see me are the people I'm paying for a service or good. Whereas in the US women over 50 are typically unnoticed, that is a totally different sensation from being "invisible". I can only liken it to the experience a friend told me about, when she visited a predominantly gay beach in RI.

Cellophane
Mister cellophane
Should have been my name !!!!
Mister cellophane
'cause you can look right through me
Walk right by me
And never know I'm there!
I tell ya
Cellophane
Mister cellophane
Should have been my name
Lyrics from "Chicago"

2 comments: